Let’s face it, we’ve all taken (or tried to take) photo’s of ourselves on more than one occasion, but how many of those shots actually look like us and how many do we actually really like?
Before you post that new profile picture onto Facebook or Twitter, take another look at your shot – does it really look like you? Are you looking your best or do you find yourself accidentally pulling Tricia trout pout or Sally sparrow face? If you‘re not 100% happy with your selfie shots you may want to take a quick look at our top ten tips below to see if you can improve them…
1. Experiment with angles – we all know we have a good and a bad side so work with what your Mother gave you and rock that shot!2. Hold your camera slightly higher than you would normally, slightly above eye level – this will help you to avoid a double chin or worse, ‘snout syndrome’ where your nose appears larger than it actually is.
3. Play up to your best features and accentuate them – brush your hair, paint on a fresh layer of lippy or even give your teeth a quick clean, it will give your selfie an extra polished feel and make you feel great at the same time.
4. Consider your expression, smiling, laughing, thoughtful – think about what you want your photo to say about you.
5. Pay attention to the lighting – natural light is always the most flattering, it will give your skin a gorgeous glow and will mask any dark, under eye shadows.
6. Don’t use flash if you can help it – flash coming directly from in front of you will flatten your features and give you unsightly shiny areas.
7. Consider your background – interesting but not distracting is key, making sure last night’s laundry or dirty dinner dishes aren’t lurking around in the background.
8. Filter it – there are so many great filter apps around so use them to your advantage, if black and white rocks your world or if you’re a vintage gal at heart, give them a go, you might be surprised at the great effects you can achieve!
9. Take lots of photos until you find the right one – you can always delete the rest when you’ve taken ‘The One’, so don’t be afraid to keep snapping until you’re happy, but hopefully after reading these tips you won’t need to take quite soooo many!
10. Add more people – don’t feel like a selfie has to be a lonely place, include a friend or two and liven up your shots, it will also help you relax!
Remember – try not to take yourself too seriously and most of all, HAVE FUN – because that’s when we’re all at our most attractive! Happy snapping, we look forward to seeing your new and improved selfies appearing on social media soon!!
Written by Lynsey